English Borzoi Standard
Head - Long and
lean. The skull flat and narrow, stop not perceptible, and muzzle long and
tapering. The head from the forehead to tip of the nose should be so fine that
the shape and direction of the bones and principal veins can be seen clearly,
and in profile should appear rather Roman-nosed. Bitches should be even narrower
in head then dogs. Eyes dark, expressive, almond-shaped and not to far apart.
Ears like those of a greyhound; small, thin and placed well back on the head,
with tips, when thrown back, almost touching behind the occiput.
– The neck should be carried somewhat low, with the neck continuing the line
of the back.
– Clean and sloping well back.
– Deep and somewhat narrow.
– Rather bony and free from any cavity in the spinal column, the arch in the
back being more marked in the dog than in the bitch.
– Broad and very powerful, with plenty of muscular development.
7 Thighs – Long and well developed, with good second thighs.
8 Ribs – Slightly sprung at he angle of the ribs; deep, reaching to the elbow and even lower
– Lean and straight. Seen from
the front they should be narrow, and from the side broad at the shoulder and
narrowing gradually down to the foot, the bone appearing flat and not rounded as
in the foxhound.
– The least thing under the body when standing still, not straight, and the
stifle slightly bent.
– Well distributed and highly developed.
– Like those of the deerhound, rather long. The toes close together and well
– Long, silky (not woolly), either flat, wavy, or rather curly. On the head,
ears and front legs it should be short and smooth. On the neck the frill should
be profuse and rather curly. On the chest and rest of body, the tail and
hindquarters, it should be long. The forelegs should be well feathered.
– Long, well feathered and not gaily carried.
– At shoulder of dogs, from 26 in. upward; of bitches, from 24 in. upward.
– Head short and thick. Too much stop. Parti-colored nose. Eyes too wide
apart. Heavy ears. Heavy shoulders. Wide chest. "Barrel"-ribbed. Dew
claws. Elbows turned out. Wide behind.